Shake Up - Part 1



It was late in the afternoon, and I was waiting for my girlfriend, Miranda, to come home from work. My eyes were growing weary from reading the newspaper, so I let them rest on the living room window. I noticed there was someone new in the apartment across the way. A younger couple. Must've been our new neighbors. The woman's partner disappeared into an interior door, and she passed into the kitchen window. I have to admit, she was a looker. She glanced out the window in my direction, and I quickly diverted my eyes. I didn't want our new neighbor to think I was checking her out. I picked up the newspaper again in an attempt to distract myself, but my fiendish curiosity got the best of me. I lifted my eyes to steal another glance. She was drying off some dishes with a kitchen towel. Then she looked straight at me! I felt my face flush, but I suddenly couldn't move. I heard a loud bang –the kind I sometimes hear when I'm falling asleep. The room around me distorted and shook. I found myself in different place. I dropped whatever I was holding in my hands and heard it smash on the floor. A man's voice eminated from another room, "Abigail, babe, what was that?" I stared at my hands. They were slightly obscured by unfamiliar protrusions on my chest. What was I wearing? Where was I? The man's footsteps echoed across the floor, approaching me. I looked up towards the window in front of me. That was my apartment. There was someone inside looking back at me with eyes wider than whatever dinnerplate I must've broken. He looked familiar. Fuck, it was me! The loud bang pounded my eardrums once again, and my surroundings shook and bent. I found myself back on my couch, with the newspaper on my lap. I looked up to see the new neighbors bending down to clean up the plate the woman had been cleaning just moments earlier. What the fuck just happened? Whatever it was, whatever it meant, I knew that, in some way or another, there was no going back from what I had just experienced.

Comments

  1. Nice start. Did he just discover a new ability? What will he do next? lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment