The Pact - Part 7

I slowly came to my senses. I felt hungover. Where was I? There was a man sleeping in the bed next to me. Who was that? What the hell?

I couldn't recognize anything, but this was someone's bedroom. I groggily tip-toed out of bed. I was still in Hailey's body, apparently.

I crept up to the dresser and looked in the mirror. I looked ...older? Or was it just that it was dark in the room?

There was a framed photo on the dresser. I picked it up. It was Hailey and some guy on their wedding day.

Wait. Hailey's never been married! She's just a teenager! What the hell?

My heart beat out of my chest. Something was wrong here. I picked up my phone and opened the calendar app. No... it couldn't be true. It was 7 years in the future.

I slowly backed away from the dresser, trying to process what was happening. I was in my sister's body, but I was actually older! I was in the body of a woman who was already married!

What the hell was going on? Why couldn't I remember anything?

Then I realized... the voice in my head must've taken over. The voice that wanted me to become Hailey.

It got what it wanted.

I looked back at the man in my bed. He was sleeping peacefully, unaware of what was happening. Unaware that his wife was actually his brother-in-law. I sat back down in the bed next to him, trying to come to grips with what had happened, who I'd become.

He grunted, starting to wake up, "Honey? What are you doing?"

"Nothing," I didn't know what to say.

I lay back down next to him, my body straight as a board. He put his arm around me, pulling me close against his chest which rose and fell with every breath he took. His hand made its way to my chest, feeling my breast softly. I felt the coldness of his wedding ring on my skin.

"It's okay, baby," he said, "Everything is going to be okay."

Every muscle was tense with the effort it took not to flinch at his touch, but I willed myself to relax into his embrace. The warmth of his body radiated through mine, and it was almost enough to make me forget that I didn't belong there. 

Comments