Time is of the Essence - Part 8


Cara and David sat in stunned silence, trying to process Jeff's words. The reality of their situation came crashing down on them.

"But... but we love each other now," Cara whispered, her hand still protectively cradling her pregnant belly, "How can we just go back to being brothers?"

Jeff's expression was sympathetic but firm, "I know this is incredibly difficult. But you have to understand - the feelings you've developed, they're not entirely your own. They're a result of inhabiting your parents' bodies, living their lives. When you return to your own time and bodies, things will... readjust."

David shook his head vehemently, "No, that can't be true. What we feel is real!"

"David… What if he’s right? Maybe I’m just feeling whatever Mom’s feeling. This was all a big mistake. We thought we were Mom and Dad for real, but… this whole time…”

Cara's voice trailed off, her eyes welling with tears. David reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently.

"No," he said firmly, "I refuse to believe that. What we have is real, Cara. It's more than just borrowed feelings or mixed-up hormones. I know who I am, and I know how I feel about you."

Jeff sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Look, I understand this is difficult. But you have to go back. The timeline—"

"Screw the timeline!" David interrupted, standing up abruptly, "We've lived these lives for months. We've fallen in love. We're having a baby, for God's sake! How can you expect us to just... give that up?"

Cara stood up too, her hand still protectively cradling her belly, "He's right. I... I can't go back. I won't. This is who I am now."

Jeff's expression hardened, "You don't have a choice. The device is set to return you automatically. In fact, it should activate any moment now."

As if on cue, a strange tingling sensation began to spread through Cara and David's bodies. Cara let out a panicked cry, clinging to David.

"No! Please, there has to be another way!" David pleaded, wrapping his arms tightly around Cara.

"I'm sorry," Jeff said, his voice genuinely regretful, "But this is how it has to be."

The tingling intensified, and Cara felt a strange pulling sensation, as if her very essence was being torn away.

"David!" she cried out desperately.

"Cara!" David shouted back, his voice fading as the world around them began to blur and dissolve.

There was a blinding flash of light, and then...

Kyle blinked, disoriented. He was back in his own body, standing in his parents' attic. Beside him, Eddy was shaking his head, looking equally confused.

"What... what just happened?" Kyle asked, his voice cracking.

Eddy turned to look at him, his eyes wide with shock.

"We're back," he said softly, "We're really back."

Kyle felt a wave of emotions wash over him –relief, confusion, and a deep, aching sense of loss. Kyle's hand instinctively went to his stomach, feeling the flatness where just moments ago there had been a rounded belly.

"The baby," he whispered, his voice breaking.

Eddy moved towards him, reaching out hesitantly before letting his hand fall to his side, "Kyle..."

But Kyle couldn't bear to look at him. The memories of their time as Cara and David were still vivid, the emotions raw and overwhelming. He could still feel the phantom sensations of Cara's body, the weight of her breasts, the curve of her hips. And the love - God, the love he had felt for Eddy, for David...

"We have to go back," Kyle said suddenly, his head snapping up to meet Eddy's gaze.

"Kyle, we can't," Eddy said softly. "You heard Jeff. This is how it's supposed to be."

“But I want to be Mom. I want to be a woman… It's not just about being Cara or being with you. I... I felt right as a woman."

"What are you saying?" Eddy asked cautiously.

Kyle took a deep breath, his hands trembling slightly. "I'm saying that being in Mom's body... it felt right. Like I was finally myself. I don't want to go back to being Kyle. I want to be... her."

"You mean... you want to transition?" Eddy asked hesitantly.

“No. I want to be her. I want to be ...Mom.”

Comments