A Second Chance - Part 11


Sarah and I spent the next few hours combing through Allan and Kathy's apartment, trying to piece together the details of their lives. We found bills, calendars, and personal documents that gave us some insight into their routines and responsibilities.

"Looks like Allan works in finance," Sarah said, leafing through some papers on the desk. "And Kathy... she's a part-time yoga instructor?"

I nodded, looking at a schedule pinned to the fridge, "Yeah, she teaches classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Oh god, I hope we switch back before then. I don't know the first thing about yoga."

“Elliott – what if we never switch back?"

I tried to laugh it off –of course we’d find a way to switch back, right?

“Hmm, you think I’d make a good yoga instructor?” I winked, “I certainly look the part…”

“What do you mean by that, Elliott?” Sarah playfully rolled her eyes.

I felt my cheeks flush, realizing how my comment might have sounded, "I just meant... you know, Kathy seems to be in good shape. For yoga and all that."

Sarah raised an eyebrow, a hint of jealousy flashing across Allan's face, "Uh-huh. And I'm sure you've been thoroughly examining her 'good shape', haven't you?"

I tried to muster a good defense but couldn’t seem to find the words. Unfortunately, she was right. Being Kathy –it kind of felt like I was cheating on Sarah in some way.

I felt my face grow hot with embarrassment, "Sarah, I... it's not like that. I can't help noticing things about this body. But I promise, I'm not..."

Sarah held up a hand, cutting me off, "It's fine. I get it. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been... curious about Allan's body too."

"This is weird, right?" Sarah continued, "I mean, we're still us, but..."

"But we're them," I finished, "I know. It's confusing."

“Can you imagine?” she continued, “If this was the new us? Forever? Like, I’m a man, and you’re a freaking woman, Elliott!”

"God, you're right. I'd be... a woman. Permanently," I said softly, wrapping my arms around myself –Kathy's softer, curvier body.

Comments