A Second Chance - Part 15



"Elliott!" Sarah gasped.

"Aren't you ...curious?"

"Yeah, I mean... I don't know," Sarah was flustered, "But we have to pick up Lily!"

I felt my face flush with embarrassment as Sarah's words brought me crashing back to reality. "Oh god, you're right," I said, my voice returning to normal. "I'm sorry, I got carried away with the roleplay."

Sarah stood up, looking flustered. "It's okay. This whole situation is just... confusing. Let's go get Lily."

We headed out to pick up Lily from school. As we drove, an awkward silence hung between us. 

Finally, Sarah spoke up, "Elliott, about what happened back there..."

"I know, I'm sorry," I said quickly. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

Sarah sighed, "It's not that. It's just... for a moment there, I almost forgot it was you. It felt so real, like we really were Kathy and Allan. And that scares me a little."

"It's just... I've never seen you like that before," Sarah said softly, "I just miss my husband."

“Hey, in place of your boring old husband, you now have a gorgeous wife,” I said flirtatiously.

Sarah chuckled softly, but there was a hint of sadness in her eyes, "I know you're trying to lighten the mood, but... it's not the same, Elliott. I fell in love with you, not Kathy."

We pulled up to Lily's school, the sight of children pouring out of the building a stark reminder of our new reality.

"There she is," Sarah pointed out Lily's small form among the crowd.

I took a deep breath, steeling myself to once again play the role of Mommy.

Comments