The closet was my favorite place, back when I was a boy. It was the only room in the house that could be truly dark if you closed the door and wedged a towel beneath it. The air inside was cool and fibrous, always smelling faintly of cedar and old perfume, and the walls were lined with the soft, glimmering armor of my mother’s party dresses. They pressed in on all sides, as if to embrace or suffocate, and I liked to imagine that if I stood perfectly still, I would dissolve into their velvet camouflage and become invisible.
It started as a game, the way most important things do, but I can’t remember whose idea it was. My mother would stand at the bottom of the stairs and call out my name, her voice slow-drifting up through the banister like a signal in code. My father would be in the den, remote control in hand, flipping channels with the blank-eyed concentration of a man who had no further need to see or be seen. I would slip past them both and into the closet, careful to close the door behind me without a sound.
Inside, I’d press myself into the narrowest corner, where the darkness was deepest and the coats hung as heavy as pelts. I learned to breathe shallowly, to melt my body into stillness. Time behaved differently in the closet, warping and stuttering so that when I finally emerged, I was never sure if minutes or hours had passed. That day, the day everything changed, I must have sat cupped in the dark for twenty minutes, maybe longer, before I felt it begin: the gentle, irreversible unspooling of me.
This is what it felt like—first, a buzzing in the skin, a tingling from the tips of my ears to the pads of my fingers. Then, a shifting, a redrawing of boundaries. My legs lengthened beneath me, tendons stretching like wet paper. My wrists narrowed, and my hands shook with a fine tremor. I closed my eyes and pressed my face into the sleeve of a satin blouse, inhaling the smells of lavender and faint, sweet rot. I told myself it was pretend, that this was only another round of Hide and Seek, but when I opened my eyes and looked down, I saw the nightgown pooled over my knees, the tiny swell of my chest against the fabric, the moon-pale skin of my calves. I saw the ring—my mother’s wedding ring, which had slipped from her finger months ago and was now snug around one of my own, gold band heavy and mineral against my bones.
I traced the length of my arm, palm to elbow, and felt it: a soreness, dull and insistent, as if I were outgrowing myself by the second. It was not like pain, exactly. More like an invisible hand kneading muscle into new shapes, bones knitting together behind the scenes. I flexed my toes and felt them crackle with static. I blinked, and my eyelashes brushed my cheeks in a way that was both foreign and familiar, as if I’d always been this way and simply forgotten.
I stayed in the closet until my mother’s calls grew sharp with worry, until my father’s voice joined hers, impatient and distant. I opened the door slowly, half-expecting to be greeted by shouts or laughter, by the sound of footsteps pounding up the stairs. But the house had fallen silent, as if the walls themselves were holding their breath. The hall was bright and endless, the wallpaper blinding in its yellowness.
Life after the closet became an endless sequence of recalibrations—some so minute I didn’t notice them until they accumulated, others so seismic that the aftershock carried through days and weeks. I had to learn to move in the world with a body that belonged to someone else, or perhaps a body that had always been meant for me, a body that I recognized only in fragments: the arch of my foot, the slope of collarbone, the way light caught the down on my cheek. My first attempts at walking felt like puppetry, as if I were being piloted by a child who had watched adults and mimicked their movements in secret, hips swinging with a tentative rhythm that was not quite mastered but not entirely alien. I remember the way my hair—longer now, finer than before—swept forward when I bent to tie my shoes, tickling my lips and forcing me to relearn the simplest motions.
I trained myself to speak in the cadence of my mother’s voice, not out of necessity but out of habit, a safeguard against being caught by neighbors or relatives who might call on the phone and expect to hear her. In the early days I worried someone would notice the difference, that my father would peer at the breakfast table one morning and see that the person reading the newspaper was not his wife but a close simulacrum. But he never did, not really. He seemed content to drift through the routine of his life, brushing past me in the hallway with a distracted peck on the cheek, never meeting my eyes for more than a second. His blindness made things easier, at first. It was the other people—the ones who watched, who listened—that were harder to fool.
Ten years is a long time to keep a secret. It’s even longer when the secret isn’t a single event but an ongoing state, a performance that reboots every morning and runs through each day until you crawl back into bed at night and hope no one has realized you’re a fraud. For me, the performance was not just about holding my mother’s place in the world but about refitting myself to her life: her job, her friends, her daily routines, and, most impossibly, her marriage. No one had prepared me for the granular reality of intimacy, the way my mother’s wedding ring felt cold and too tight some days, or how my father’s hand would find mine in the dark, seeking comfort more than heat. I became an expert at deflection—offering up headaches or exhaustion or the vague specter of a bad mood when I couldn’t bear the thought of being touched. But sometimes I found myself yielding, surrendering to the shape of my mother’s life not because I wanted to, but because I felt I owed it to her.
The first touch was accidental, or at least it could have been. A brush of hands, a steadying palm on the small of my back as I carried in the groceries. The next was less so. A hand on my shoulder that lingered through a whole TV commercial, fingers kneading the bone until I thought they might snap it in two. After that, the wall between us softened and then dissolved. Sometimes he would come home late, smelling of bar mats and rain, and stand in the doorway of my room (my mother’s room) as if trying to remember why he’d come. Sometimes he would crawl into bed next to me and fall instantly asleep, mouth open, snoring with the abandon of a child. It was easy to let him. It was easier still to slip an arm around his waist or stroke his hair, to press my lips to the spot behind his ear that I remembered from childhood as the safest place in the world.
The night it happened, there was nothing to set it apart from any other. There was no preamble, no grand escalation, no thinning of the air as in the stories I used to steal from my mother’s vanity drawer and read in flashlight-lit secrecy. We watched a late movie with the volume turned low—something with too much dialogue and the texture of old wool. My father sat on one side of the sofa, I on the other, a neutral zone of pillows and magazines between us. During the commercial breaks, he’d ask me questions about work or the neighbors or nothing at all, and I’d find ways to answer in my mother’s voice, which was becoming easier every day. Everything was becoming easier, which should have frightened me but didn’t.
When the movie ended we both turned away from the screen, blinking in the sudden quiet. I gathered the empty bowl and the glasses, rinsed them in the sink, moving through the motions with a choreography that belonged to someone else, someone practiced. I could feel him watching me from the archway, his body a dark cutout in the yellow light, but he didn’t say anything. I dried my hands on a towel and stood there, unsure if I was expected to go to him or if he’d come to me. I thought of the closet then, how I’d pretended to dissolve into my mother’s coats, how I’d wished for a version of myself that was invisible and untouchable. Instead I had become the opposite: visible in ways I had never been, exposed down to the bone.
He was already in bed when I came upstairs, the covers pulled high and turned back on my side like an invitation. I changed into my nightgown in the hall bathroom, avoiding my own reflection, and brushed my teeth with the same firm, circular strokes my mother had taught me as a child. I moved slowly, as if by stalling I could halt the night entirely, but in the end I clicked off the light and padded barefoot down the carpeted hall.
He didn’t speak when I slipped beneath the sheets. His hand found the thin ridge of my shoulder and settled there, heavy and hot. I thought I might lie perfectly still, as I had in the closet, and let him fall asleep beside me. But he rolled toward me, and I felt the deliberate press of his body along my side, the unfamiliar weight of hair against my cheek, the tang of aftershave and sweat. I reached for him as my mother would have, maybe as I would have if I’d ever had a lover, and he kissed my collarbone with a gratitude so sharp and honest that it made my eyes sting.
This is not how it’s supposed to go, I thought, and yet I could not imagine a different script. I was, after all, only nine years old, and even if I had possessed more than a child’s knowledge of sex and bodies and desire, even if I had not spent the last year unspooling into my mother’s shape, I would not have known what to do with the moment once it arrived. My father’s hands—so much larger than mine, large even for the man he was—hesitated at my waist as though weighing the difference between here and before. His breath came in shallow puffs, each one tinged with the bitter aftershave I had come to associate with him: drugstore vanilla, nicotine, animal salt. I could smell the sweat at the nape of his neck, pooling in the hollow just below the hairline, and the familiar, sourish tang of his shoulders. I catalogued these details because it was the only way I could keep myself present. If I let my mind drift for even a second, I feared I would fall out of the world entirely.
As he entered me, I felt—not a suddenness, not a tearing or an intrusion, but something more uncanny, like the sensation of returning to a room you’d once lived in, only to find it rearranged and made strange. There was pain, yes, but it was distant, a background hum to the sharper, more confusing sensations: fullness, heat, the granular awareness of skin against skin. I thought of the phrase my mother used to describe her childhood piano teacher, a woman who could not pass through a doorway without smoothing down the invisible pleats in her skirt—“she was a creature of habit”—and I understood then that my body would find a way to accommodate any pattern, no matter how foreign. I understood that I could become a creature of habit, too.
My father’s movements were cautious at first, tentative in the way of someone who has been warned not to break a new toy. Then, gaining confidence, he pressed forward, his hand on my breastbone guiding me back into the pillow. I made the noises I thought would help, at first—clumsy, almost theatrical whimpers, the kind I’d heard in the movies I was not supposed to watch—but then I forgot to keep performing, and the noises became real: harsh and unmodulated, the cries of something being remade against its will. I bit down on the inside of my cheek to keep from screaming, but he did not seem to notice, or if he did, he mistook it for pleasure. At some point, he closed his eyes and let his weight settle over me, and for a brief moment I was pinned to the bed, my lungs unable to draw a full breath.
It ended as abruptly as it had begun. My father’s breath hitched, his body convulsing in a series of small, inward collapses, and then I felt the hot animal finality of him pouring into me. His face was pressed into my hair.
He rolled away, pulling the blanket taut so that it pinched my bare thigh, and in the aftermath I watched the ceiling’s shifting shadows as though they might offer some coda or consolation. There was nothing cinematic about it, no fade to black, no comforting hand or reassuring murmur. I listened to his breathing slow, then even out, then soften into the snuffling unconsciousness of drunken sleep. I lay very still, waiting for the pain to recede, for the inside of my body to remember itself. There was an ache, low and persistent, but stranger was the sense of emptiness now that the act was over, as if some small core of myself had been hollowed out and left echoing.
I wanted to cry, not out of fear or even shame, but for the plain bewilderment of having crossed an invisible boundary and found only myself on the other side, unchanged except for a new, secret knowledge. I wondered if this was how my mother’s first time had felt—awkward, silent, a transaction completed in the dark. Or if she’d ever lain awake afterward, hands on her stomach, tracing the unfamiliar map of herself and trying to imagine what came next. I wondered whether she would have pitied me, or whether she would have been proud of the way I had managed, of the way I had kept the performance going even when the curtain was drawn.
I slipped out of bed as gently as I could, careful not to wake him. I went to the bathroom and sat on the closed toilet lid, closing my eyes against the hard, overhead glare. I cleaned myself with tissues and cool water, then wrapped my arms around my knees and rocked back and forth, as I used to do as a child, to steady the world and reassure myself that I was still here, still real, still capable of moving through space and time with some small measure of autonomy. The night was so quiet that I could hear the water in the pipes, the distant thrum of a neighbor’s air conditioner, the soft click of the medicine cabinet as I opened and closed it.
It wasn’t an isolated event. That first time proved itself merely a template, a mold for what followed, and soon a rhythm set in: some nights after the dishes but before the news, other times in the early haze of morning, a hand under my t-shirt before I was even fully awake.
I practiced being a grown-up. I did the laundry and the shopping; I learned his payroll schedule and which bills to pay first. I memorized my mother’s recipes from the index cards she kept in a battered tin, and I could roast a chicken and set a table for six before I even started sixth grade. I learned how to answer the door with a neutral face, how to look adults in the eye and smile so that they never asked questions. I told myself this was what she would have wanted, that I was making her proud by keeping everything together, even as the walls of the house seemed to tilt further inward each night.
It was a math problem, really, or a recipe: if my mother was gone and I was the closest approximation, then what followed was a matter of logic, of obligation, of inheritance. Some nights, after he had rolled away and started snoring, I would lie awake and rehearse a letter to her, my words careful and precise, as though I could explain the situation into something less shameful, less final. But there was never anything to send or anyone to receive it. There was just the silence of the house and my own breathing, steady and small in the dark.
If I’d hoped for some kind of guidance, a set of instructions left behind in a hidden diary or whispered in dreams, none ever came. I was left to decipher the rituals of adulthood as best I could, to learn how much gin to pour into a Collins glass before people started to ask questions, to remember which of my mother’s friends hated anchovies and which preferred their coffee black. I watched reruns of etiquette shows and practiced my handwriting, imitating the loops and slashes of her careful cursive until even I couldn’t tell the difference.
The hardest part was caring for her body as if it were my own. There were appointments to keep, medications to manage, a constant series of small aches and stinging cuts that needed tending. I had to teach myself how to shave my legs without nicking the skin, how to wrangle a hot curling iron, how to apply eyeliner with a steady hand. I catalogued every freckle and birthmark, every scar, until the map of her flesh became second nature to me.
That’s when I discovered the way back through the closet.
Comments
Post a Comment