The house smelled of packing tape, cardboard, and the faint, bitter aroma of dried herbs simmering in a small pot on the stove. It was 1:00 AM, three days before the movers were set to arrive.
In the master bedroom, yellow streetlamps filtered through bare windows, casting long shadows across the floorboards. Jake stood before the full-length mirror, staring sullenly at his reflection. At seventeen, he felt defined by his own physical awkwardness: a lanky frame, narrow shoulders, slouched posture, and a persistent, quiet anxiety that made him feel practically invisible.
Beside him, kneeling over an open wardrobe trunk, his mother, Marie, wiped a fine sheen of sweat from her forehead. At forty-two, despite the suffocating emotion of widowhood following her husband’s death two years ago, she remained striking. She possessed a naturally slim, hourglass silhouette, smooth skin, a tapered waist, and full, heavy breasts that filled out her simple tank top effortlessly.
She came across an old cardboard box filled with nostalgic items, and in it were some framed photos and baby books.
The top photo was of Jake at age seven, wearing a knight’s costume made from aluminum foil and pizza boxes, grinning in front of a cardboard castle.
She held it up, her eyes immediately glassy at the corners, “Oh, look, Jake! Remember this?”
He rolled his eyes, but smiled in spite of himself, “Yeah, Mom. Of course I remember.”
She thumbed through the stack, pausing at each one—a Thanksgiving in Vermont, Jake and his father sledding under jagged white clouds, all three of them in matching red hats in front of a rented A-frame. There was a prom photo from when Marie was a teenager.
She laughed, a short, startled noise, and showed it to Jake, “Do you see what I’m wearing here?”
“Aw, look at us here,” she pointed, “I haven’t been able to look at this since, you know…”
He reached into the box himself, digging past a bundle of crumpled tissue paper, and came up with a strip of faded tickets.
“Here’s a ticket to that museum in Paris,” he said.
He didn’t recall the museum itself, only the endless walking.
“That was such a fun trip,” Jake said, the smile returning but not quite reaching his eyes.
“Yeah...” her words drifted out, suspended in the charged quiet of the half-packed room.
Jake felt the need to fill it. “Mom?”
“Yeah?” She looked up, her mouth set in a careful line.
“Are you okay?” The question hung there, heavier than it had any right to be.
She blinked, as if waking up. “Yeah, honey.”
She gathered some more photos, tucking them into a new envelope.
She let out a deep breath, “how are you feeling about the move?”
He studied her expression, “I’m okay. Why? Are you-?”
“No. No. I’m fine,” she smiled weakly, “are you gonna be okay with the new school and everything?”
“It’s not like I have a choice, Mom.”
Marie drew a long breath, her chest rising and falling beneath the thin cotton of her tank top.
For a few minutes, they worked in silence, Marie sorting the flotsam of parenthood and Jake occasionally reading aloud from an old birthday card or a homemade comic strip he had drawn as a child. Their conversation was halting, the way it gets when there’s too much unspoken between two people, all the words crowded behind their teeth.
It was only as Marie dug to the bottom of the box, fingers searching through a tangle of medals and souvenir spoons, that she seemed to find something she hadn’t expected.
She looked back at him a long moment, “I found something.”
“Found something?” Jake prompted, stuffing a heap of wrinkled t-shirts into a garbage bag.
“Um. Yeah.” Marie’s voice caught on the first syllable, then steadied.
“Jake… just a hypothetical…” She trailed off, chewing at the inside edge of her cheek.
“Yeah?”
“What would happen if we…” she started, rolling the thing between her palms, “if we swapped bodies?”
She tried to laugh, but it came out thin and unconvincing.
Jake made a face, “What? What do you mean?”
“Like, we’re moving to a new place. Small town, fresh start, no one knows who we are or what we look like.”
Jake waited for her to finish.
“Imagine this: say we traded places, right now. Tomorrow morning, you wake up in my body, and I’m in yours. What would we do? How would anyone even notice?” She smiled, but the corners of her mouth twitched, as if the idea unsettled her even as she proposed it.
Jake eyed the ring and tried to gauge whether this was some sort of elaborate metaphor, “I don’t follow. You mean, like, physically swap, or just pretend?”
“All the way,” she said, “Like one of those movies. Your mind, my body, and vice versa. You’d go to work. I’d go to high school. And in a town that’s never seen us before, we could just… slip into each other’s lives.”
Jake laughed, but it sounded more like a cough.
“I mean, no one would believe it,” he said, “Not unless you told them.”
“But that’s the thing,” Her expression sobered, “What if we never told anyone?”
Jake shrugged, angling a glance at her, “I’d probably get you fired in a week.”
Marie grinned, “You’d have to try pretty hard. I’m actually pretty replaceable.”
They kept packing boxes for a while, the clatter of ceramic mugs and the rustle of newspapers the only sounds.
They finished the master bedroom, and Jake dragged the first box into the hallway, stacking it next to the others. He glanced back at the door, where his mom stood, arms crossed and head tipped to one side, watching him. When he caught her eye, she smiled, but it was a forced, lopsided smile.
They had nearly finished taping up the last wardrobe box when Marie’s phone buzzed with an old calendar notification: ‘call insurance’. She silenced it and leaned against the mattress, suddenly looking exhausted.
Jake took the lull as his cue to wander into the kitchen, where he upended a box of stale granola into his mouth and drank directly from a carton of oat milk. When he returned, Marie had retrieved the same battered cardboard box from earlier and set it between them in the hallway. There was a fresh, almost nervous energy to her movements now.
He watched as she rooted around beneath the baby albums and dried flower bundles, eventually extracting a small, heavy object wrapped in a strip of indigo cloth. She undid the ties with deliberate care, pausing to glance up at Jake as if checking whether he was paying attention.
“Oh, Mom? What was that thing you found?” he asked, curiosity jagged with a tired edge.
“No, it’s nothing.” She said it lightly, but he could tell by the way her fingers worried the knot that it was something.
“Come on,” Jake poked, stepping closer, “Mom…”
Marie hesitated. She looked at her son for a moment before unwrapping it to reveal a small, old book.
She thumbed the cover open and ran her finger down the yellowed title page, “It’s kind of crazy, but… I found a spell book.”
There was a beat of silence as Jake tried to parse the words, then he snorted, nearly choking, “A… what? A spell book?”
Marie’s eyes flicked up at him, “My grandmother…”
Her voice wavered, but she pressed on, “She wasn’t just a gardener, you know. She… did things. Wrote things. She called it ‘her practice’—I always thought it was just, like, crazy. You know, that weird stuff with crystals. But this—” She tapped the book’s spine, “I didn’t even know it existed until today.”
Jake rolled his eyes, “You realize you sound absolutely batshit right now, right?”
She laughed, but the sound was tight, almost relieved. “Yeah, I know. But just… listen, okay? I was flipping through it, and there’s this spell in here. It’s supposed to let people swap bodies. Like, actually swap. Minds and memories and everything. And…”
Jake stared at her, waiting for the punchline.
Marie fiddled with the book, flipping through dog-eared pages, “Just hear me out. The move, the new place, starting over—what if, for one day, we got to be someone else? Know what it’s like on the other side?”
He shrugged, “I’d rather just get a dog or something.”
“No, seriously.” She leaned in, eyes bright with mischief and something else—longing, maybe, “Wouldn’t it be wild? I mean, you’re seventeen; you think being an adult is easy. I’m forty-two, and I barely remember what it felt like to be you. It could be… I don’t know. Educational.”
Jake grinned, “Mom, I already know what it’s like to be you. You come home, complain about work, make tea, fall asleep with Netflix on. Half my DNA is from you; it can’t be that different. I mean, besides you being a girl.”
Marie made a face, “You have no idea. And besides, what if it’s not just about seeing? What if it’s about… understanding?”
He shook his head, but found himself inching closer to the book, “You really believe this thing is real?”
She closed the book with a snap, “I’m not sure. But look. I tried one—just a tiny one.”
She held up her hand, and Jake saw that, between her knuckles, a tiny blue butterfly was perched, flexing its wings. It was impossibly delicate, like origami or spun glass.
“It’s called ‘Manifest Butterfly’. I just said the words, and, well, this happened.”
Jake gawked.
“Touch it,” she said.
He did, and the butterfly crawled onto his fingertip, impossibly alive. He looked at her, then back at the butterfly, then at her again.
“See?” Marie said, her lips quirking in satisfaction.
“Okay, that’s definitely weird,” Jake admitted, watching the butterfly take flight, spiral up toward the ceiling, and vanish into the yellow haze of the living room light.
Marie set the book down between them, her hands trembling slightly, “The body swapping—there’s a whole section on it.”
Jake laughed again, but softer now, “You’re not actually thinking of trying it?”
She shrugged, but her eyes were fixed on his. Jake eyed the book warily.
“Is it that different from what we’re already doing? Ripping up the old life? Starting fresh?”
“Mom, that’s so weird,” Jake said, and backed up a step.
“But wouldn’t it be kind of exciting? You have to admit. Even just for a day?”
“I don’t know,” he said, but even to his own ears the syllables sounded thin, “I mean, what if it works? What if we get stuck?”
Marie let the question hang, drumming her fingers on the cardboard, “I guess we’d have to trust that we wouldn’t. Or maybe being stuck wouldn’t be the worst thing.”
“Not the worst thing?” Jake laughed and shook his head, “Are you kidding?”
“You were never curious?” Marie asked, her tone feather-light but loaded.
“Curious about what?” he said, bracing for whatever she’d say next.
“About… the other side,” she said, “What it would be like to be a woman.”
Jake made a face, “Mom, don’t be gross.”
She cracked a knowing smile,“I don’t mean it like that. I mean, if you could wake up in my body and just… go to work, live for a day as me, wouldn’t you want to see what it’s like?”
He shook his head, but felt a lurch in his stomach like a small stone, “I think it’d be freaky.”
“Maybe that’s why it’s worth trying,” Marie said. “Isn’t that what you want? To get out of your own skin for a bit?”
Jake flinched at that, and she saw it.
“Look,” she said, voice softening, “If we did this, it would just be us. No one else needs to know. We’re moving. The whole point is to start over. You could just—be me. I could handle high school for a week. Who would even notice?”
For a moment, Jake was silent, thinking of the implications with a seriousness that startled even him. He tried to imagine it, really imagine it: standing in front of a mirror and seeing his mother’s face looking back, her collarbones and freckles and the mole on her left cheekbone.
The idea was so surreal it made him woozy, but there was part of him that wanted to say yes, to see how it would feel.
He cleared his throat, pretending indifference, “Let’s say we actually do this. Like, for real. How long would it… I don’t know, last?”
Marie shrugged, “A week? A month? Maybe longer, who knows? Months? Until we get sick of it, or want to switch back. There’s even a reversal spell in the book.”
“Longer?!”
“Let’s be honest Jake, I would kill to get a do-over on high school.”
“Well, what about me?”
“Think about it: you wouldn’t have to start over. No new friends, no cafeteria politics. You could just be ‘Mom’ for a while. Go to work, come home, complain about emails, and never once worry about prom or the SATs. Why not?”
Jake tried to laugh it off but couldn’t quite manage. He glanced at the book, then at his own hands, then at his mother, “And you? You’d really… want to do all my stupid classes?”
Marie made a face, “It’s not like you’re that social anyway, honey. I’d probably just read in the library and ace all your tests. If anything, it might improve your GPA.”
He was about to protest, but the truth of it stung, and he let the argument collapse.
“Still. It’s kind of… I don’t know, weird.” He struggled to find the right word, “It’s embarrassing.”
Marie grinned and made a show of tossing her hair, as if summoning a version of herself that was forever younger, brasher.
“Oh, but I’m not embarrassed being me,” she said, tossing her voice into a playful register, “What would you even be embarrassed about? You could wear all my clothes, play with my makeup, scroll my phone. Heck, you could touch my boobs whenever you want.”
She let the statement hang, eyebrows arched, eyes glittering above a poker-faced smirk. For a moment, she just observed her son, tracing the line of horror on his face. Then, slow and deliberate, she brought her hands up to cup her own chest, palms splayed like she was weighing the produce at the supermarket, “These can be yours, honey.”
When Jake made a strangled, appalled noise, she doubled down, “I mean, you’d probably spend the whole week just poking around in the mirror, right? Checking yourself out. I know how teenage boys think, Jake.”
“That’s—Mom, that’s disgusting,” he said, but it came out in a high, incredulous squeak.
“Don’t look so shocked. I wasn’t born a mom, you know. Someone had to be the first girl in high school to buy a push-up bra. And anyway, nobody’s going to judge you. Who’s even going to know? Besides me, I mean. There’s nothing in this house you haven’t already seen, anyway.”
She winked, relishing the way Jake’s face twisted first in horror, then in disbelief, then in a kind of grudging, scandalized awe, “Think of it as a chance for some, uh, mother-son bonding.”
“Mom!!” Jake went tomato red.
Comments
Post a Comment