Starting Fresh - Part 4

 


The front door of the new house clicked shut behind them, locking away the hollow rattle of empty cardboard boxes and bare floorboards.


Instantly, the late-summer night air hit them like a wet sheet. It was well past two in the morning, and the temperature had plummeted into a damp, biting chill that smelled faintly of asphalt, pine needles, and distant salt water.


Jake gasped. The sound that slipped past his parted lips was thin, sharp, and unmistakably female—a soft, breathy intake that seemed to rattle around inside a throat far too narrow for his instincts.


He instinctively folded his arms tight across his chest, squeezing his forearms inward to trap body heat—and immediately pressed dead into the soft, heavy swell of her bust.


Marie glanced sideways. She saw him clutching herself, saw the paralyzed, deer-in-the-headlights look in her own hazel eyes, and let out a dry, cracked adolescent laugh, “We really did it, Jake…”


“I can’t believe it actually worked…”


“Isn’t this crazy?!”


“I know! This is insane. I’m you. It doesn’t make any sense…” Jake nearly stumbled, “I even sound like you. I mean, of course I do.”


They turned the corner onto the main strip leading toward the dark commercial district. Overhead, an old sodium vapor streetlamp hummed, casting a greasy yellow glow across the damp asphalt. The town was dead. Not a car passed; not a light flickered in the rows of unfamiliar, cookie-cutter two-story homes. It was a complete vacuum.


"So," Marie started, her stride halting for a fraction of a second as she kicked an empty soda can across the curb, "Two weeks."


Jake looked over at her. "What?"


"Two weeks until school starts," she said, looking down at his large, rough hands as she pulled them from the hoodie to inspect the knuckles. "Two weeks in that house. With... with nothing to do. Nobody knows we're here. The internet guy doesn't even come until Tuesday."


"Yeah," Jake said softly. His new, velvety voice drifted out into the cold, pluming in a pale wisp of vapor, "Just... us."


"Just us," she repeated. She paused, tilting his old head, watching him navigate her boots over the curb, “Though... I guess it’s not really 'us' anymore, is it?”


“Well, technically,” Jake said, “we’re still just Marie and Jake.”


“Yeah,” she laughed, “I guess you’re right. To the rest of the world, nothing’s changed at all, right? We’re just the same old ‘us’.”


Jake stood there, the cold wind biting at his exposed ankles beneath the hem of her cropped jeans. He looked down at the sidewalk, tracing a crack with the toe of her leather boot. His throat felt dry, tight with a reckless, forbidden clarity.


The wind died down for a second, leaving the street entirely silent except for the low electrical buzz of the transformer above them.


"I saw the hamper," Jake said, the words tumbling out now, desperate and raw, "In the bathroom. From yesterday. Before we moved. The stuff you wore all day when we were taping boxes. That... that grey knit top. The jeans. They're sitting right on top of the pile."


Marie didn't move, "Okay...?"


"They're unwashed," Jake said, his cheeks burning so hot he thought the skin might crack in the cold, "They still smell like... like you. Your sweat. Everything. Tomorrow morning... I don't want clean clothes from a box. I want to pull that unwashed top over my head. I want to wear it around the kitchen."


Marie’s eyes widened slightly, "You want to wear my dirty clothes?"


"If I wear clean stuff, it just feels like... like dress-up," Jake stammered, crossing his arms tighter, his voice dropping into an embarrassed, pleading register.


Marie stood frozen on the sidewalk. She looked at her own face—the sharp cheekbones, the faint crow's feet at the corners of her eyes, the dark hair blowing across the collar of the twill coat—and listened to her own velvety voice.


For a long second, Jake braced for the blow. He expected horror. He expected the sharp, cutting snap of maternal authority that had kept him in line for seventeen years. He felt the sudden, sickening vertigo of having gone entirely too far, of exposing a taboo so monstrous that it could never be unsaid.


Then, Marie let out a breath.


It wasn't a gasp of disgust. It was a low, ragged chuckle that plumed into the air between them—a sound rich with disbelief, intrigue, and something dangerously complicit.


She stepped closer, the lanky teenage legs moving with sudden deliberate ease, until she was standing right in front of him, looking down into her own face.


Jake shrank back a half-inch, his throat clicking, "I'm... I'm just saying—"


"No, no," she said, raising his large, scarred hand to stop him. A slow, crooked smirk spread across his old teenage face, "I'm listening. You want the master bedroom. You want the dirty laundry. You want to lock the door and completely swallow me whole."


Jake looked away, mortified, his eyes tracing the yellow line on the road, “It's... it's just how it has to be if we're doing this."


"Jake, look at me."


He hesitated, then made himself look up into his own eyes.


"You think I'm going to yell at you?" Marie asked softly.


She leaned his tall frame against the cold metal of a lamppost, watching him with an unnerving, relaxed intensity, "You think I'm offended?"


"Aren't you?" Jake whispered, "It's... it's your life, Mom. It's your body. It's creepy."


Marie looked down at his sneakers, scuffing the rubber against the concrete, and let out another soft, breathy laugh, "Why the hell would I fight you on that?"


Jake felt the air leave his lungs. The shame that had been choking him for the last ten blocks suddenly cracked open, giving way to a dizzying, electric rush of heat that radiated all the way to his fingertips.


She wasn't just tolerating it. She was handing it over without a single reservation.


“What?” Jake murmured, his voice trembling, "What do you mean?"


Marie’s smirk sharpened, knowing and ruthless, “I know how a seventeen-year-old boy's brain works, Jake. Especially now that I'm dragging one of …these around between these legs." She tapped the front of his oversized jeans casually, making Jake’s face flush scarlet, "You think you're going to put on my unwashed tank top, get into my unwashed sheets, shut that door in the dark, and just... go to sleep?"


The street seemed to drop ten degrees in an instant.


Jake’s tongue glued itself to the roof of his mouth. The air in his lungs froze solid. He felt the terrifying, impossible taboo hanging right there under the yellow light, stripped completely bare.


"Mom..." he squeaked, the velvet voice pitching high with absolute panic.


"Don't 'Mom' me," she said smoothly, not letting him look away, "I'm not your mom out here. I'm your teenage son. And you're a forty-two-year-old woman. You're going to get into that bed tonight, and you're going to …you know.”


"I..." Jake swallowed, his chest heaving beneath the tight modal fabric, "Mom…”


Marie didn't flinch. She didn't look disgusted. She just stood there, her hands shoved deep in his pockets, watching the plume of his breath.


"My entire life," Jake whispered, the words shaking with a raw, desperate honesty, “this body was... it was 'Mom.' It was off-limits. And now... I'm inside it. I can feel... everything. The way the skin feels, the way the fabric rubs... and knowing I can go into that room, put on the clothes you wore, and actually..."


Marie stared at him through his own teenage eyes. For a long, terrifying second, neither of them breathed.


They crossed the empty street in silence, the unspoken contract sealed tight between them. With every step, Jake felt the heavy, grounded sway of her hips, the tight embrace of her denim, the smooth warmth of her hands inside the pockets of the twill coat.


They reached the door. The glass was clouded with steam and grease, reflecting their distorted silhouettes against the night: a tall, slouching boy in an oversized hoodie, and an attractive, dark-haired woman with narrow shoulders and a tired, beautiful face.


Marie paused, giving him a small, ironic wink through his own face. "Your wallet's in the front zipper of the purse, Mom. You're buying."


Jake’s heart slammed violently against his ribs. He gripped the metal handle, pulled the door open, and stepped across the threshold.


A wave of thick, hot air—heavy with fried garlic, sesame oil, and sizzling pork—slapped them in the face.


The harsh white glare of fluorescent strip lights overhead stung Jake’s eyes after the darkness of the street. Behind a scratched plexiglass sneeze guard, an elderly man in a grease-stained white apron looked up from a stack of paper order pads, wiping his hands on a kitchen towel.


"Help you?" the man grunted, his voice flat with late-night fatigue.


Jake stepped up to the counter, his knees trembling slightly inside her jeans. He reached down into the leather bag slung over his shoulder, his slender fingers brushing past receipts and lip gloss until they found the smooth edge of her leather wallet.


The warmth of the restaurant seemed to cling instantly to her clothes, making the thin modal fabric stick lightly to the skin of his chest.


The cashier tapped his ballpoint pen against the laminate counter, looking directly at Jake's face.


"What can I get for you, ma'am?"


"We'll take... the house fried rice," Jake said, smoothing the hair behind his ear as he pulled out her credit card. "And two orders of the steamed dumplings, please."

Comments